Thursday, July 29, 2010

Squash Caponata

I know what you're thinking - isn't caponata an eggplant dish? Okay, so maybe you weren't thinking that, but I was... I clearly didn't read this week's farm delivery email well because I thought we were already getting some eggplants in. I was all tee'd up with my Eggplant Caponata recipe to go and then I get home to more summer squash. So, I thought - this might work, I'll make a squash caponata (if there can be such a thing). This makes a great side dish or appetizer on top of crackers. So here we go-

Squash Caponata
EVOO
3 medium summer squash
1 cup onion (again, you can use whatever kind you've recently received)
1 garlic scape
1 small can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup golden raisins
salt, pepper
1.5 tsp red wine vinegar
--> In a large pan with EVOO over medium-high heat, saute half of the squash in a single layer. Cook until golden brown and softened, stirring occasionally, ~10-12 min. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add a little more EVOO and repeat with the rest of the squash.
--> Reduce heat to medium and add EVOO, along with onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until they soften. Add the tomatoes, stirring and crushing them as they cook. Stir the squash back in along with the almonds and raisins. Cook together for a couple minutes.
--> Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and vinegar. Serve warm or at room temperature. I think this will keep 3-4 days but I haven't tested that theory yet :)


No comments:

Post a Comment