Sunday, August 8, 2010

Homemade Pesto

I think it is peak basil season in New England since we got a really big bunch last week and I hear we are getting more in this week's delivery. So, pesto time it is... Most people find this weird but I'm not the biggest fan of pine nuts, so I often use almonds as a substitute because I am a big fan of those. I also don't love when foods are too garlicky which I think is why I enjoy using the milder scapes when they are in season. That said, I LOVE pesto, especially when it's homemade. Below is the recipe that I use and I find it to be just delicious.

Pesto Sauce
Ingredients:
4 cups basil leaves, well packed
4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed and peeled (I used 2 garlic scapes tonight instead)
1 cup almonds (or pine nuts or walnuts or a combination of all)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesano-Reggiano or Pecorino-Romano cheese (or combination)
1 1/2 cups EVOO
salt and pepper to taste

--> Place basil and garlic in food processor and process until leaves are finely chopped. Add nuts and process until nuts are finely chopped. Add cheese and process until combined. With machine running, add olive oil in a slow, steady stream. After oil is incorporated, turn off machine and add salt and pepper to taste.
* Note: If not using immediately, store in air-tight container with a thin coating of olive oil on top to keep sauce from turning dark. Pesto will keep well in fridge for a week or so, or you can freeze it. Recipe yields approx. 3.5-4 cups and can be halved.

No comments:

Post a Comment