Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Does anyone actually like escarole?!

I had good intentions with my dinner - really, I did... And I just looked back at last year's blog post about escarole and I seemed to like what I made.  But - this year, I officially decided I do NOT like escarole.  Maybe escarole is like cilantro - you either love it or hate it.  I hate cilantro and I think I am feeling the same way about escarole. The recipe I made was very simple and should be tasty, for someone who likes these greens.  That someone just isn't me.  Thank goodness I paired the escarole with something I do love - scallops!  YUM.  So far, dinner has been some perfectly grilled scallops... I'll share my simple escarole recipe for those who are in the love camp...

Sauteed Escarole with Parmesan & Almonds
1 head escarole
1/4 cup toasted almonds
bit of slivered parmesan cheese
EVOO or PAM
red pepper flakes (optional)

--> Spray large frying pan with PAM or drizzle with olive oil.  Heat the pan over medium heat and add the red pepper flakes.  Once the pan is heated up, add the escarole.  Saute for 3-4 minutes, turning the leaves sort of frequently.  After 4 minutes, throw the already toasted-almonds in the pan and move them around among the leaves for ~30 seconds before removing all from heat.  Dress the greens with the parmesan cheese and serve hot.

1 comment: