Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Twist on the TBM

For two weeks in a row we've gotten lemon-basil. It has a totally delicious smell of both lemons and basil and I just couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it. I'm not in the mood for pesto, plus I can't eat the pesto fast enough before it goes bad (I've tried freezing it too but it's just not the same - when you want fresh pesto, you want it fresh, not frozen!). So, I decided to try making a homemade vinaigrette. After I made the vinaigrette, I figured - why not drizzle some over a tomato mozzarella salad since I have plenty of tomatoes. So, that was my lovely appetizer tonight. Picture to be posted later - I'm working on a temporary computer and I can't figure out how to upload a photo!!

Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
About 1/2 cup of lightly chopped basil or lemon basil leaves
1/4 of a medium sized onion or a shallot, lightly chopped
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
~1/4 cup red wine vinegar
~1/2 cup EVOO

--> This is an eye-ball type recipe. Basically, you put the basil, onion/shallot, mustard, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until everything is combined and chopped more finely. Scrape the sides and then add the vinegar. I probably added a little more vinegar and a little less EVOO but it's all to your liking - you can't go wrong here - well, try not to have too heavy a hand with the liquids or you'll have super soupy dressing... Pulse a few more times after the vinegar is added then slowly add in the EVOO while pulsing - be careful the mixture can splatter out. Once you are done adding the EVOO blend a little more and that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment