Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beets - it's what's for dinner

I am a huge fan of roasted beets. They're just basically delicious. I eat them plain, or with feta cheese, or in my salads. Doesn't really matter to me - I just love them. Before the CSA I had actually never made roasted beets myself. I had eaten them in restaurants and admittedly, out of a can too. But, last year when fresh beets started flowing in weekly, I was introduced to the beauty of fresh roasted beets. And, I even learned how to roast them without turning my fingers red!! There are lots of tips and tricks out there on the web that address the red finger issue, and I've tried a whole bunch. My favorite method is to put the beet inside an aluminum foil packet sealed up tight and roast in the oven at 375-400 F for an hour and a half to 2 hours (depending on the size of the beet). When you take the beet out of the oven, let it sit inside the packet for 15-20 min before attempting to peel. The skin of the beet should basically sweat off and will come right off with a knife. Because they cook for a long time, I usually make them when I have my oven already on while cooking something else. You can make a whole bunch at once and store them cooked & peeled in a tupperware in the fridge - which makes them all set for a perfect, healthy snack at any time!

For more readings on beets, check out this article from the NY Times - they're not only delicious, but super nutritious too!
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/04/health/nutrition/04recipehealth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment