Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Bite of Bread

So this post is a shameless plug for my future business, Bite of Bread. I'm working on a website that I will link to this blog if I ever make it live. But, for now - I'll just tell you about some of the breads I make. Sorry, I'm not going to share my special, perfected bread recipes (that would probably kill the market for my business), but since I tried a new one, I'll share the love.

Tonight's featured bread is Pear Bread - the past few weeks fruit deliveries have been apples & pears, and since we already made applesauce, we needed something fun to do with the pears. Just about 2 weeks ago we got about a dozen Seckle Pears, which are smaller pears but incredibly juicy once they're truly ripe. They worked wonderfully...

Pear Bread
Ingredients:
5 small pears - diced up
1 small pear - mashed (to get more of the juice)
1 egg, beaten
1 egg white, beaten
2 tbsp water (a little more or a little less depending on how juicy your pears are)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder

--> Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a loaf pan with Pam.

--> Mix up the wet ingredients in 1 bowl (pears, eggs, water, vanilla) and dry ingredients in a second bowl (flour, sugar, pudding mix, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder). Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until the mixture is wet. Don't overmix. Then transfer to the loaf pan.

--> Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out dry.

1 comment: