Sunday, October 11, 2009

How do you like them apples?

Even if I ate an apple every day, I'd still have some left over each week when the next share delivery arrives. This past week, I don't think I had any apples - so, with the whole bag staring at me from my fridge, it was time to peel, cut, core and make applesauce!! Probably the easiest of all the apple recipes...

Applesauce - au naturel style
Ingredients:
Apples - peeled, cored and cut in quarters
Sugar
Cinnamon

Like I said, this is real easy... put all your apples in a big pot - add a little bit of water from the sink and boil on medium. Every so often, stir the apples so that the ones on the top eventually get mixed to the bottom. If you leave them on the heat long enough, they basically fall apart - otherwise you can bring out my most favorite kitchen gadget - the immersion blender (thanks Risa!). After 15 min or so (use your judgment based on the amount of apples you use), take the pot off the heat and blend up. Okay, if you don't have an immersion blender, you can just mash with a fork... Then add sugar and cinnamon to taste. Voila - there's your applesauce.

I used a mix of apple varieties - but according to some random website, Fuji and Gala apples are among the best for making applesauce. Jonagolds, Golden Delicious, Empire and Macintosh work quite well too.

Note: I've been asked what "a little bit of water" means - I'd say 1/4 inch of water is good if you like chunkier applesauce. If you prefer your applesauce "looser" then add a little more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment